People often think of Tarot cards when it comes to ‘reading’, but not many know that a standard deck of playing cards can also be used for divination. In fact, knowing how to divine with playing cards is helpful if you are learning or interested in the art of playing card divination. In “playing card meanings and spreads“, you will find useful information that can be gleaned from the cards.
Reading playing cards is known as cartomancy. This form of divination was spread across the 14th century in Europe by groups of gypsies; later, it can be traced back through the Middle East. The original cards have probably been developed in the 10th century in China; however, no one is able to determine its true origins. For an in-depth reading with playing cards, it is best to consult a professional card reader with a good reputation. Back then, gypsy travelers were considered as ‘cartomancers’ as they have given their readings to seekers all over the world.
A regular Tarot deck has an extra set of cards called the Major Arcana, which gives extra depth and power to the meaning of the layout (spread) of the cards. This quality will obviously be missing when you have a reading with playing cards.
Using playing cards for fortune telling is pretty simple since the Tarot layouts and divinatory meanings are easy to adapt to reading regular playing cards. When people observe a deck of playing cards, they may not understand that it actually was the original Tarot deck. The playing cards were called ‘Mamluk’ in the Middle East. There are four main suits designed in a complex way relating to four elements of the universe – Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water. If the Tarot deck has a total of 78 cards, the deck of playing cards contains only 52 cards.
The truth is – a myriad of spreads and thousands are available for possible readings. To understand the basic meanings of each card as well as of what the cards mean together in certain locations, the reading requires a good interpreter. For a general elucidation regarding meanings and spreads of playing cards, look below.
The meanings of four suits and Joker:
- – Hearts represent issues in regarded to emotions (feelings) and relationships.
- – Clubs deal with problems about money and finances.
- – Diamonds are all about work-related and affairs out of the house.
- – Spades indicate hindrances to your path or other difficulties that could be a problem.
- – Joker is a sign of new developments, new beginning, and fresh starts.
As you know, cartomancy is done using various layouts or spreads. By using a particular spread, one can get a detailed reading. Like Tarot, each of the cards has a meaning, and the interpretation will deepen when you lay them out in an appropriate way, based on your situation.
- – Single cards are for quick answers
- – 3-card spread is for an insight into the past, present, and future
- – 9-card spread (3 rows of 3 cards) is for an in-depth interpretation into the past, present, and future
- – 21-card spread (3 rows of 7 cards) or is also called as ‘Gypsy Spider Web’
Look up the playing card meanings and spreads for an insightful and deep understanding not only about yourself but also about people in your life.